September 03, 2011

Let's Make Hot Sauce!

My friend at work has been keeping me stocked with a great supply of homegrown hot peppers for months now. I still had a nice big container sitting in the fridge, and afraid I wouldn't be able to use them up before they went bad - that's when the idea to make my own hot sauce came into play. I started with about 50-60 little hot peppers...


This is my signature hot sauce so of course I wanted it to have a bit of an Italian flare. I started by roasting whole heads of garlic at 350 for a little more than an hour - does it get any better than roasted garlic?! I mean really! Thankfully I roasted a whole tray of garlic or there would have never been a couple heads left to add to the hot sauce.

As soon as the garlic came out of the oven I turned the oven to broil and put the hot peppers in spread on a large cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. I watched them carefully and turned them along the way until nicely roasted and starting to pop open - yum...


These peppers were too small to deal with peeling so I just cut off the tops and threw them in the pot whole with skins on, seeds and all. I added the roasted garlic, a can of diced tomatoes, and added maybe a cup of distilled white vinegar (just enough to cover the mixture), a pinch of sea salt and some additional Italian spices. I decided to try adding about 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar to sweeten things up for that little surprise when it's first tested - "oh, this is a little sweet" - and then the intense heat kicks in!


I simmered it for an hour or so and then used a potato masher to mash it all up, added a little more vinegar (again just to barely cover) and then simmered for another hour...


I cooled the mixture and refrigerated for 24 hours. The next day I strained in a mesh strainer and just used a spoon to push through all the good stuff. Here's all that was left - just some seeds and the pepper skins...


Here's the final pot of hot sauce - not too thick or too thin ...


It turned out just like I wanted in consistency and flavor. Between the roasted garlic, the tomatoes and the balsamic vinegar it has that initial mild taste, but with the totally kick your butt intense heat that creeps up quickly and lingers for a few minutes. The heat fades fairly quickly and then the lovely roasted garlic flavor lingers. This is definitely a great hot sauce, but one to be used sparingly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever made your own hot sauce? It can be made using such a huge variety of ingredients. What would your signature sauce be? Also, anyone have any idea how long a homemade hot sauce like this will keep? I'm thinking of bottling and canning for holiday gifts. This would make a great gift for guys or for any hot and spicy food lovers in our lives!

Linking up to:
Seasonal Saturday ~ Savory Sunday
Mangia Mondays ~ My Meatless Mondays
Masterpiece Monday ~ Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays
.

18 comments:

  1. If you can it, it should stay a long time. There is a bell canning book that I love. I think anyone that cans should have a copy.
    The book: http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315061673&sr=8-2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - I have to say...THIS IS COOL! I've never made my own hot sauce and that you did is....I'm speechless!

    My hubby and I don't use a lot of HOT sauce, but we adore wing sauce...I'm hoping you make that next!

    GREAT post! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering! To say that I love hot sauce is an understatement! Looks fabulous and you are a genius, cher! Thanks for the great recipe, I will be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you put an Italian spin on hot sauce. The roasted garlic sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a genius;this looks and sounds like the Perfct hot sauce; I can almost taste it.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Signature hot sauce - brilliant!
    Love the roasted garlic idea.
    I would have to use this super sparingly!
    Have a happy Sunday.
    :-) Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds awesome...that is a big ol' batch o' chiles :D I've made a few different versions before. Most recently a habaƱero pineapple. My signature would be garlic with a slow, seductive heat! Mmmmm.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't made my own but if I had more chiles I would.

    My only worry about the "how long will it keep" issue is the roasted garlic going bad after a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THIS SOUNDS SOOOOOOOOO GOOD. :) And yes I knew I was yelling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow, wow, this hot sauce looks SPICY HOT!I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful colors love it come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this hot sauce...have never made a homemade one. Such beautiful colors, and flavors...hot, hot, hot. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a neat trick to place the hot peppers underneath the broiler to char! I have an electric stove so I can't do the stovetop char, but I hate how much the peppers cook when I do it the oven. The broiler is an awesome alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mouth is literally watering just thinking about the intense flavors in this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that it is vegan too. I tend not to keep things very long in the fridge...they just get a Yuck factor for me after a bit.
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. your hot sauce sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like hot sauce with roasted chicken breast.

    ReplyDelete