May 07, 2011

Slow Cooker Mex-i-talian Chicken

This one was a total "I have to hurry up and throw things together" slow cooker meal earlier this week. I had a pack of frozen chicken breasts with no time to thaw and no idea how I was going to make them. I also had a ton of beautiful peppers fresh from my friend's garden...


I decided to just put the chicken breast in frozen, tossed in a bunch of peppers whole. I added 7 or 8 whole peeled cloves of garlic, Italian seasonings and a can of diced tomatoes...


I combined it all in the slow cooker on Sunday night so all I would have to do was take it from the fridge to the slow cooker base and turn it on Monday morning. I cooked it all day, about 9-10 hours on low.

Mex-i-talian Chicken

Not too shabby for a slow cooker meal! Leaving the peppers whole while cooking worked perfectly so those who don't like super hot and spicy didn't get the full flavor. The chicken shredded so easily, just fell apart and the whole garlic was delicious, very similar to roasted garlic.

This made an easy meal and wasn't too heavy like many slow cooker meals can be. All I had to do was boil some pasta, top with a sprinkle of fresh herbs and dinner was ready. The only thing I would change the next time would be to add another can of diced tomatoes and double those delicious garlic cloves.

The leftovers were even better served in tortillas the next night - this makes an absolute perfect taco, burrito or enchilada stuffing. I will probably skip the pasta the next time and go straight for the tortillas!

Don't forget my Slow Cooker Recipe Round Up is open all month. Be sure to stop by to link up your slow cooker recipes!

Linking this post to:
Friday Potluck ~ Saturday Swap

23 comments:

  1. Looks so good, so many great flavors! And I love that pic of the peppers, awesome shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds really delicious - especially the slow-cooked garlic and that fall-apart chicken - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great dish and such stunning photos! Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For us busy gals -- slow cooker recipes rock! Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe for something good! I love chillies and would have grinded them with onions and garlic and sauteed till fragrance. But really hot - just the way I like!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really should invest in a slow cooker - I am seeing so many good recipes. Your chicken looks super.
    :-) Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the part on the chicken falling apart on its own. This looks delicious, and with so little effort too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! I need to utilize my slow cooker more as I only use it to make dessert. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a big user of slow cookers even though we have two. But this is one I really like. I could see using this as a filling for some major awesome burritos too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhh that looks super fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that red and green picture looks so amazing your dish sounds great as well would love it if you could come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up!! This looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks awesome! I love these kinds of happy accidents, thanks for sharing. Jen @ icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey! just wanted to let you know that i featured your recipe on my picks for savory sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd take a big bowl of this right now!!! MMMMmmmm!!!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I am so glad to see you linked up to Made it on Monday.

    And with such a great recipe!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What great pictures. The chicken just looks fanastic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw this over at Lark's! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You had me hooked with that first picture! Love peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for linking up with Garden Variety Wednesday! This recipe is very fitting with those beautiful peppers from your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found your blog--lots of great sounding food here!

    Lisa @ http://hopewellmomschoolreborn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great! More crock-pot recipes! I couldn't survive without my crock-pot!

    Lisa @ http://hopewellmomschoolreborn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete